This week the class decided to take a break from reading and discussion and learn a new skill: creating simple 3D models.
Working with SketchUp
- Install the free version of Trimble SketchUp 8 on your machine if you haven’t already
- If you are new to SketchUp, watch the introductory video tutorials, or, alternately, just try learning how the different tools in the toolbar work by playing around with them and consulting the help files
- If you have used SketchUp before, try some of the advanced video tutorials
- Optional: watch the Elephant Jumping on a Trampoline to get psyched about 3D modeling
- Choose a tutorial to work through from the self-paced tutorials, SketchUp Artists or from somewhere else. Pick something that you find challenging and fun, but not paralyzingly advanced.
- Alternately, use SketchUp to create 3D representations of one or more of your project ideas, of an exhibit you would like to create, or of a place that is familiar to you
- E-mail your 3D model to me before class
This will count as the second assignment for the course.